I own a small business that employs 36 people here in California. Every year my business is saddled with more taxes, fees, obligations, reporting, and duties that are related to my role as an employer.
- Unemployment taxes keep going up while at the same time the government (state AND federal) make it easier for fraudulent unemployment claims to be filed.
- I have to pay my employees every week now instead of every two weeks just because the state legislature decided that I should do so.
- Fraudulent workers comp claims cost me thousands of dollars each year through higher premiums and yet we can't prevent them because the law encourages them (read up on "moral hazards" on the web sometime!)
- Obama and his collaborators in the senate and house want to make me pay for healthcare for my workers, when currently most of them refuse our offer of healthcare coverage because they're young and they don't want to spend money on something they think they won't use (we pay for part of the premium but they have to share in the cost)
- Obama and his collaborators owe a huge debt to organized labor that will some day no doubt be paid with laws that make it much more difficult to keep the unions off our back
All these items, and more, make it MUCH less attractive for us to hire new employees, and yet as we grow we have no choice. The government knows this. They know that eventually businesses will have to hire people, and so they give lip service to helping small businesses. However, what they propose is that businesses be able to BORROW more DEBT. That debt is more likely to kill businesses than help them. Debt will cripple most small businesses. Businesses need to achieve positive cash flow, not higher debt service obligations.
The best way to help small businesses hire more people is to LESSEN the intrusion of government in our businesses, not load us up with more debt and more taxes.