I'm considering the option of employing a developer from oDesk to work on my web startup. My rough plan would be:
- Write a detailed specification.
- Produce the design (in terms of class diagrams, etc, not visual design).
- Create the skeleton project (I'm going to be using Zend Framework).
- Setup the project in SVN and my continuous integration server (so that I can run automated checks on the quality of the code, upload to a staging server, etc, on each commit).
- Employ someone on oDesk to work on the project for 2 days per week. When they are not working on it, I would be doing as much as I can.
How concerned should I be with sharing the full idea/specification and (more importantly) the full source with someone that, initially at least, I cannot completely trust.
What options do I have to limit the risk? An obvious one would be not to expose the full source to them and instead simply give them individual tasks (i.e. create a Zend controller which does xxx, create a Zend form which looks like xxx). However this would increase the amount of integration I would need to do considerably so would not be ideal.