Through a business networking group "business friend of a business friend", you are introduced to a prospect who is interested in your services. The person who introduced you has never met you, but works with another provider who you are close with and stands to gain business if you successfully engage with the prospect.
Question is - is the person who introduced you entitled to a finders fee? Is one customary in this "networking" type engagements? If so, what rate is applicable?
Adding additional backgrounder info:
prospect <-> S1 <-> S2 <-> me
- S1 knows Prospect via a networking group
- S1 has a business relationship with S2
- S2 has a business relationship with me
- S1 is a service provider to S2
- S2 works with "me" on various engagements
- Prospect, S1 and S2 had a preliminary meeting
- S2 asked me to participate in a followup meeting to cover technical issues
- Prospect, S1 and S2 and I were present in followup meeting.