I have my own web development company and I created a web shop for a customer using Drupal Commerce.
My customer was selling children's clothing in a regular store. This store, however, no longer exists because the rental costs and such were simply too high. So we opened a webshop for her in order to sell her items through the web.
The webshop will go live in a few days and I'd like some help in the marketing department since I am a programmer and my marketing knowledge is rather limited.
What I am thinking of doing/ what I already did:
- I will try to contact some complementary companies to see if they are interested in some sort of partnership with my client*
- I created a blog on the webshop so that my client can communicate some of her thoughts and new products to the public.
- I have a small e-mail list with customers (clients of my client) I can send notifications to about the new webshop
- I am thinking of distributing flyers in my client's local area to spread the word
- I will use google adwords to market the site
What I cannot/ will not do:
- Use facebook or twitter extensively (I can link the blogposts to appear on the facebook/twitter account but I feel my client is not going to spend too much time on these social sites)
- Invest too much in other types of marketing, there simply are no financial resources left
Is there anything I can do to 'brand' the web shop some more, given the limited resources?
As a side question: I'd love to learn more about marketing and branding, can you give me some names of decent practical books to read about these subjects?
*My plan with contacting other companies is: Offering them some space in our web shop to sell their products through our shop (perhaps allowing us to buy the products at a slightly discounted rate) and in turn ask them to advertise our web shop in their store, to their customers. Do you think this would be a valid approach, or would you do this differently? (Obviously, I'd only target other companies who don't already have a web shop of their own)
EDIT: The point of my 2 lists is not to restrict the discussion or to disallow any specific comments. The first list gives you some information about the things I've tried and the second list gives you some information about the restrictions I face.
Even though I have some restrictions in terms of money, this does not mean that tips that require funds are not helpful/welcome. They would just be long term operations.