I wanted to know what you would recommend for analyzing data in this scenario:
We have a web application that requires users to register etc in order to use it. For our further decisions on what to do next and also for potential investors analyzing our users is important. Metrics like
- How many users registered on a certain date, progression charted with selectable timerange
- How many users have registered up to a certain date
- or more complex: given certain user categorization, how high is the rate of returning users for each group
So far we have used a custom tool that is directly querying the database and presenting selected data in charts using the Google Charts Tools.
But this is rather bad at the moment, because our development team is currently the limiting factor and would like to have the business guys do the analysis themselves because it can get fairly complex which in turn would require quite some programming effort.
I have found certain Business Intelligence software like Pentaho and JasperReports but they seem extremely complicated to setup and use and feels like total overkill. We have also thought about using MS Access since they also have nice reporting features.
So my questions are:
- Is there any good standard software that enable our non-programmers to get the data analysis they want?
- If so, would you recommend for a startup that has limited time and resources to dig into a specific tool and learn how to use it? Or is a custom tool the best shot?
Thank you very much for your help,