I have yet to go public with my SaaS startup, and am considering releasing it under an open-source license.
Below are some thoughts I've collated in answer to this question:
- As competitors could just download our project and sell at a more competitive monthly rate
- As companies could just setup there own build and not pay us
- As the developer community will like the license (good publicity)
- As this will solve customer skepticism such as: “What if you’re not around in a year” will be combated with we're open-source, so you can e.g.; get others to host
- Since others will fix bugs and enhance our service with us
- Because small businesses will be outpriced from infrastructure or skillset needed
- Because large businesses will want the support (someone to blame/ring-up!)
What are your thoughts: will Open-Sourcing my SaaS solution positively impact revenue?