I work on the public sector and have developed a web app for internal use to handle a department's business process. The application has been a success according to its users. Some of the users are internal employees, some are consultants.
The consultants showed the application to their superiors and they came back saying if there is a way they could purchase the application, as it would be beneficial for their consultants that are scattered around other companies with a similar business process.
It turns out that the legal hoops that we have to trough to sell the application are too complicated because we are not a software shop that sells software.
So my questions are as follows:
How can I make that product mine? (I build it using company's time, so I guess it's property of my company).
If the answer to question #1 is "No". Can I change the following:
- Database Design (Change table names, columns, extend it with things that I have in mind, redesign certain relationships).
- Change the Look and Feel of every screen.
- Change the application name.
- Enhance the app by making and Android/iPhone version
If I do question #2, then:
- Would the product be mine?
- Could I loose my job?
- Could my current employer sue me, even though is a complete different product, but got the requirements while working for them?
My goal is to be able to keep my current job (benefits and pay are great. Work is pretty good, 8 and out and no pager) but start this on the side and go solo when it takes off.