I'm interested in understanding the state of what I'll call "desktop micro ISVs" in the U.S. in 2011. By this I mean one-person computer software companies, creating desktop computer software, and selling it via download. This would be servicing the general interested public, not a niche industry.
The sorts of questions I have are things like (rough estimates are fine):
- How many such companies exist in the U.S. currently?
- What is the range of profitability for these in the U.S. now?
- How likely is such a company to face legal problems, such as patent infringement issues (given the U.S.'s problematic patent law regarding software)?
- Given finished software, what sort of weekly time commitment should one expect in terms of running the business?
- What sources can you recommend to help understand more?
(Tag editing requested)