I listen to Mixergy religiously and never do the guests, or Andrew, mention education as being a factor to their success. In fact, I know several Mixergy guests over the years are dropouts from either high school or university. Education is not a prerequisite to a successful start-up, passion is.
Up until a few years after graduating from college all I wanted to do was sit in a cubicle and write software or work on electronics. I wanted nothing to do with human interaction. This was detrimental to my success for many years. I tried to start a couple of companies, but all failed. However, in my late 20s I had an epiphany.
Long story short, I founded my current manufacturing company and became very passionate about our products and our customers. I've learned that being a people person and engaging the customer has rewarded me with my current success. When I look back at the major factors that lead me to where I am today, I realize that none of it was learned from a formal education. It was learning from experience, being scrappy, networking with the right people, and treating everyone like my grandma (especially if I need or will need something from them).
Sure, if you are already in business and your struggling with an aspect of the business, technical or not, then you have 3 choices:
- educate your self on the subject
- hire someone else to fill the role
- just don't do it; change your goals or solve the problem differently using existing knowledge
But absorbing an entrepreneurial-type education before you're even in business is flawed logic to me.
Analogy: you just bought a new complex electronic gadget (i.e. started a business). You know its purpose, so you just jump right in and start turning knobs. After a little while of playing around, you master about 80% of its functionality. For the other 20% of the esoteric or advanced features, you reference the manual (see my 3 points above).