Technologies don't matter to investors. You could write you entire app in BASIC if you wanted and they wouldn't care. The reason why you don't want to write your app in BASIC is because it will take you forever to finish anything and gain any traction.
Use whatever technology you can to get a product out the door as fast as possible and test whether people even want it or not. If you have a deep understand of how Wordpress works and can make it do what you want, why not use it? I've programmed 4 projects on Wordpress so far and have run into relatively few problems.
Downsides to building on Wordpress
- No guaranteed plugin support You're going to spend a bulk of your time finding plugins and testing them, only to find they don't fit into your application. You also don't want to modify a plugins source code because if you update it by accident, you'll lose your work. And you never know when a plugin will be deprecated by a new Wordpress Core update.
- Can't modify the core - Never modify the Wordpress core. You're going to have to write your own plugins or PHP files to make Wordpress do what you want
Upsides to building on Wordpress
- Rapid development environment - You could get a minimum viable product up in a weekend just to see if anyone wants to even use your idea.
- Great documentation - Wordpress has some of the best documentation I've seen
- Great community - There are thousands of plugins and entire communities that rally around Wordpress like Wordpress.StackExchange
In my opinion, Wordpress is an amazing platform to build the first iteration of your product on and get something out the door. You're going to rebuild your entire site anyways, so you might as well waste no time learning and getting your Minimum Viable Product done.
You need to think seriously about your customer acquisition strategy. That's going to be your biggest challenge. And here are some samples of sites I've hacked on Wordpress. They all took me less than a weekend:
- Quochilla - A website for startup quotes
- MyBookHound - Share your books with friends and track where they go
- SponsoraStartup - Try to get people with money to pay for your startup event tickets
Message me if you have anymore questions or want to chat more! I love that topic of this thread.