My two-person education startup is looking to move to San Francisco for personal and business reasons. What are the possibilities and tradeoffs of where to live/work? Our general (somewhat conflicting) considerations are:
- Cheap as possible (less than $850/person)
- Access to weekly tech and social events
- Don't want to have to have a car
- Will likely be aggressively pursuing angel funding
- Don't care much about housing quality or "safety"
For locations outside of San Francisco e.g. Oakland, Daly City, South SF, and Richmond, is it easy enough to regularly get into the city? Would a startup feel isolated there? How about in the outer parts of SF like Sunset or Lower Mission? Am I overstating the importance of being connected to downtown?
If anyone got a temporary place for a month first to feel it out, how did you go about finding a place and where did you live?
This is an open-ended question, and I'm most interested in hearing about your experiences: what was frustrating, what worked well.